Put the banana ketchup away, we’re using our jar of Caldereta sauce to make everyone’s favorite Filipino spaghetti. Filipino spaghetti is sweet and saucy, packed with juicy red hot dogs, ground pork, and cheese. It is a mainstay at birthday parties, often right next to that tray of pancit. Like what Filipinos say all the time, “Noodles for long life!
Most Filipinos opt for store-bought Filipino style spaghetti sauce or using a bottle of banana ketchup to make the dish to save time from creating a sauce of scratch. In this recipe, you can opt for a jar of Fila Manila next time you make spaghetti. It saves loads of time and it’s very delicious!
Caldereta is the most famous beef stew of the Philippines. It is a favorite of many and can be found at any Filipino gathering. A beef stew packed with loads of potatoes, bell peppers, and carrots, they are all cooked in tomato sauce.
Start this quick and easy weeknight dinner by mincing onions, carrots, and celery. Toss in your choice of ground meat, some brown sugar for that signature Filipino spaghetti sweetness, and deglaze with Caldereta. After the sauce simmers and reduces, combine with cooked spaghetti and grated, melty cheese (cheddar or mozzarella are our favorites!) and dinner is served. We like this pasta topped with extra cheese, and paired with a nice glass of red wine.
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced carrot
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 jar Caldareta sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz. spaghetti, cooked
- 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup grated Parm or Pecorino for serving (optional)
- 1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium to medium high heat. Add celery, carrot, and onion. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add beef and break up into crumbles. Cook until starting to brown.
- 3. Add brown sugar and Kaldareta sauce.
- 4. Bring to a simmer and cook for at least 30 minutes, uncovered, to allow flavors to come together and sauce to thicken.
- 5. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 6. Add spaghetti and mozzarella. Add pasta water as needed. Mix well until the cheese starts to melt.
- 7. Serve immediately. Top with grated cheese.