Filipino Caldereta is a hearty tomato-based stew that’s the culinary lovechild of Philippine & Spanish cuisine. Ripe tomatoes, red bell peppers, coconut vinegar, garlic, onion, and a pinch of chili flakes are slow cooked for zesty deliciousness.
Caldereta, which comes from the word caldera meaning cauldron, is another example of the many Spanish influences in Filipino cuisine.
This hearty & tomato-y stew is traditionally made with beef or other red meat and is usually prepared for holidays and special occasions. It's commonly served in parties and get-togethers as an appetizer to accompany beer or hard drinks. Over the years, however, the dish has evolved into a regular dinner fixture, making use of more accessible meats such as pork, chicken, or even plant-based protein options!
Here's how to easily prepare our version of the Instant Pot Filipino Caldereta by Fila Manila. Easy & delicious!
- Olive Oil
- 1 Jar Fila Manila Caldereta Simmer Sauce & Marinade
- 1 lb. Cubed Beef (or sliced seitan or firm tofu for plant-based options)
- Pre-cooked veggies (cubed potatoes, peas, carrots, olives, your choice!)
1) Turn on Instant Pot using the 'Sauté' option and heat up olive oil
2) Sear beef on all sides until brown
3) Pour in Fila Manila Caldereta Simmer Sauce on top of the beef
4) Close & seal Instant Pot Lid
5) Turn on 'Pressure Cook' option and set for 22 minutes
6) Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete, should take about 10 to 15 minutes.
7) Release steam and open the lid
8) Stir in pre-cooked veggies
9) All done! -- serve over steamed rice and eat!
Serve with a mountain of steamed rice or with your favorite warm bread and an ice cold beverage. Instant Filipino Beef Caldereta--- so delicious and easy to make. Enjoy! - jake