Bring Filipino flavors to your next Taco Tuesday. Although Adobo is usually eaten with rice, in this recipe tortillas are the main star. This Filipino-Mexican fusion dish is an easy way to incorporate both flavors.
Adobo is a classic Filipino dish that is made with a wide variety of proteins marinated in soy sauce and vinegar. Whether you’re using chicken, pork, or seafood, you can follow this recipe to create a delightful side dish with your ulam.
Begin by sauteing chopped garlic and onions with your favorite taco seasoning mix. Add your choice of ground meat, a squeeze of honey, and as much adobo as you desire. After the sauce has reduced, fold in some chopped tomatoes. Serve the adobo-y taco meat with fresh tortillas, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, chopped onions, and cheese for a uniquely delicious Filipino Tex-Mex experience. Like your tacos with some heat? Swap in our Spicy Adobo, a bold spinoff using Siling Labuyo, a Filipino chili pepper.
This quick and easy weeknight meal is sure to please the whole family on Taco Tuesday or any night of the week. Pair these flavorful tacos with a cold Mexican beer and lime and you’ll never make regular tacos again.
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. Chili powder
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tsp. honey
- ⅔ cup Adobo sauce
- ¼ cup canned diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel)
- 12-16 hard taco shells or 12, 6 inch corn tortillas, lightly charred or warmed
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar, and diced fresh tomatoes
- 1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground chicken, breaking up into crumbles. Cook until cooked through.
- 3. Add honey, Adobo sauce, and diced tomatoes and chilies.
- 4. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes.
- 5. To assemble: Place about 2 tbsps. or up to ¼ cup adobo chicken in a hard shell taco or tortilla. Top with shredded lettuce, shredded cheese and diced tomatoes. Serve immediately.