INSTANT POT Filipino Chicken Adobo
Arguably the Philippines’ national dish, and my family’s favorite go-to comfort food. Soy Sauce, coconut vinegar, (lots of) garlic, and mild Filipino spices create a mouth-watering combination of umami, salty, & tangy flavors.
This dish has been the subject of intense and delicious debate across Filipino families in the Philippines and in the US. The debate argument: should Filipino Adobo be made with chicken, pork, fish, or... even tofu?
Whichever your choice, the meat is traditionally braised in soy sauce & vinegar until pungent and rich, sweet and sour and salty at once and always served with the remaining sauce. The deliciousness of the dish comes from the balance of its flavors. Cooking softens the acidity of the vinegar, which then combines with the flavor of the meat to enhance it.
Here's how to easily prepare our version of the Instant Pot Filipino Chicken Adobo by Fila Manila. Easy & delicious!
- 1 Fila Manila Adobo Sauce & Marinade
- Olive Oil
- 1.5 lbs. chicken or pork belly (or firm tofu for a plant-based option)
- Turn on Instant Pot using the 'Sauté' option and heat up olive oil
- Sear the chicken on both sides until golden and crispy
- Pour in Fila Manila Adobo Simmer Sauce on top of the chicken
- Close & seal Instant Pot Lid
- Turn on 'Pressure Cook' option and set for 22 minutes
- Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete, should take about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Release steam and open the lid
- Serve with a mountain of steamed rice or with warm bao buns and an ice cold beverage.