Arguably the Philippines’ national dish, and my family’s favorite go-to comfort food. Wheat-Free Tamari, coconut vinegar, garlic, and mild Filipino spices create a mouth-watering combination of umami, salty, & tangy flavors.
This dish has been the subject of intense and delicious debate across Filipino families in the Philippines and in the US. The debate argument: should Filipino Adobo be made with chicken, pork, fish, or... even tofu?
Whichever, the protein is braised in vinegar until pungent and rich, sweet and sour and salty at once, then sometimes crisped at the edges in high heat, and always served with the remaining sauce. Its excellence derives from the balance of its flavors, in the alchemy of the process. Cooking softens the acidity of the vinegar, which then combines with the flavor of the meat to enhance it.
Scroll down to see our simple recipe for our delicious & classic Filipino Adobo!
How to easily prepare Fila Manila's Filipino Adobo at home. Easy & delicious!
- Olive Oil
- 1 Jar Fila Manila Adobo Simmer Sauce & Marinade
- 1.5 lbs chicken (for plant-based, firm tofu, hearty mushrooms, or seitan is equally as yummy)
- 1 cup potato
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
1) Heat up olive oil
2) Sear the chicken on both sides until golden and crispy
3) Pour in Fila Manila Adobo Simmer Sauce
4) Add water to jar then shake and pour remaining sauce
5) Add bay leaves & potatoes
6) Simmer until chicken is cooked and sauce thickens
7) All done!
Serve with a mountain of steamed rice or with warm bao buns. Enjoy! - jake